The Cast -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Lindsay: The Mom... Kevan: The Dad... Colton: The Kid... Lillian: The Princess... Jarro: The Dog...

Friday, July 04, 2008

Happy 4th!!!!

Last night, we were out with friends watching the fireworks and I got all misty-eyed and had to hold back tears. I think that the 4th of July holds some of my most prized childhood and really, life memories for me. It also marks the day that I met my amazing husband.

Growing up, my parents loved a party. I think that it's safe to say that my whole family still loves a good party. We love throwing them and we love going to them. Well, my parents threw the best parties. People looked forward all year to our annual 4th of July party. This was when we lived on Bayberry and our backyard was a beach on the Great South Bay. Well, directly across the water from us was were they set off the fireworks. So we had the most amazing front row seat. It was as if it was our own personal fireworks show. The kids ran wild, the adults drank like crazy and everyone just had an amazing time. We ate hot dogs until we were ready to throw up, ran along the water like maniacs with sparklers and it was a child paradise. Sitting on the fence along the beach watching the fireworks go off to the chorus of 500 strong "Oohing" and "Aahhing" was pure magic.

I think that the 4th of July represents the golden days of my childhood. When I think of the days before the big D word came about, it's the 4th of July that I remember most. I hope that I can give my children such an amazing and special memory to carry with them forever.

Just seeing fireworks brings me back to those carefree days on the beach where my only worries were whether I could get a good spot on the fence for the show. I'm instantly transported back to being 6 years old with a sparkler in one hand and a hot dog in another. Life just couldn't have gotten any better at that point.

I've had some amazing 4th's even after the golden days were over. One year, I watched the fireworks on top of a building in NYC and had fireworks surrounding me. That was another beautiful 4th memory.

The 4th this year marks 6 years that I have spent with the most amazing man in the world. I will never forget the first time that I saw him sitting at my table at Woodys. I knew that he was special, but I never would have imagined that he would become the most important person in my life.

I've been thinking about the past 6 years and all of our great memories and all of the different stages of life we've gone through and different places we have lived. Right now, our amazing son is digging through my purse knowing that I'm about to yell at him. But last night at the fireworks, I was in tears watching my two favorite guys cuddled up laying on our blanket watching the fireworks. It was one of the most beautiful sights I've ever witnessed. Then I look down on the breathtaking baby girl that we've been blessed with and I just can't even believe that this is really our life. How lucky are we. How lucky am I!! I'm married to my best friend and the most amazing man in the world and I have the most beautiful and wonderful children.

I'm hoping to watch fireworks again tonight with my family and just reflect some more on this amazing life that I'm in awe of. It's a day for me to really count my blessings and realize how lucky I am. The song by Garth Brooks about unanswered prayers really comes to mind. Because there were so many things that I've wanted and dreams I've had over the course of my life that if they had come true, would have meant that I might not have had Kevan, Colton and Lillian in my life...

So Happy 4th of July to everyone. I hope that you're making a special memory tonight when the fireworks go "BoomBoomBoom"...

No comments:

The Gerber Family

Followers


About Me

My photo
I am a working mom of two trying to stay sane in the midst of our first house renovation. I am obsessed with bargains and making something fabulous out of a boring find.